February 12, 2010

A Little Treat


I figured out what to cook for our Valentine's dinner last night…CHINESE! Haha! I know it might sound random, and it is.

I had a recipe for "Hot and Sour Chicken" that I've been wanting to try, plus we have some Egg Drop Soup mix we've been wanting to try. So I figured, why not? The only trouble I've had with the chicken recipe is finding the "Knorr Hot and Sour Soup Mix" at the grocery store. I checked Wal-Mart with no luck, and before I headed to Kroger, I googled it so I'd know exactly what the package looked like and could hopefully find it.

Well, what do you know?? I found the Knorr website and was delighted to find out that February 14 is not only Valentine's Day, but also Chinese New Year this year! PERFECT! So we're celebrating both tonight – ha!

[side note:] while investigating the soup mix, it's no longer listed on the knorr website, so I took a risk and went to Kroger anyway. I got lucky! The same brand – Sun Bird – that made the Egg Drop Soup mix we already had makes a Hot and Sour Soup mix, too. Look in the oriental section, not the soup section.

Menu:

  • Hot and Sour Chicken
  • Stir-Fry Vegetables and Noodles
  • Egg Drop Soup
Hot and Sour Chicken


  • Ingredients:
    • 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (…I only used 4)
    • 1 can of chicken broth
    • 1 hot and sour soup mix

  • Directions:
    • Combine all ingredients in the Crock-pot
    • Cook for 8 hours on low / 4 hours on high
I wish I had some really exciting or creative recipes for the stir-fry veggies and noodles or the egg drop soup, but sadly no. I used Kroger-brand frozen bag of "stir-fry vegetables and noodles," but I did add in some extra oriental seasoning. The egg drop soup mix was really simple and easy, too. You will need an egg for the soup and some soy-sauce for seasoning everything.

The verdict? Awesome! I can't even begin to tell you how good that chicken smells…
 
  
 

3 comments:

Lee and Bridget Henson (plus 2!) said...

Yummy! I am trying this out on my husband this week, thanks to your blog.

Lindsey @ Magnolias and Gobbers said...

This looks delicous. I will have to try this hot & sour chicken!

Lindsey @ Magnolias and Gobbers said...

This looks delicious! We will have to try the hot & sour chicken!