January 17, 2010

2nd Answers

What motivates you? You are a very driven girl who gets a lot done at school, stays organized, etc. What keeps you going?

You might be shocked to find out that I'm much more of a procrastinator than you think. It really bothers me. I honestly go through phases or cycles of productivity and procrastination. For example, last weekend I sat on my butt and did nothing all weekend, while in just one day so far this weekend, I've cleaned out our guest bedroom, taken down the bed, moved the mattress and box-spring, and taped off and painted the guest bedroom and guest bathroom. It's usually one extreme or the other!! I guess what keeps me going is that I make LOTS of LISTS. To-do lists, project lists, grocery lists, cleaning lists, school requirements lists…you get the idea. As far as staying organized, that varies. My calendar/planner is just stuffed with papers and sticky notes, so it's not doing so well on the organization right now (I should put this on the "to-do list…). But I do love a good Excel spreadsheet. That's how I kept up with wedding addresses, my school requirements, etc. I also own a label maker – are you surprised? Ha!

As far as motivation goes for dental school, my main motivation is FINISH! I try to remind myself that every day that I am there is one more day down to graduation. While I'm there, I run around non-stop (usually). I just try to fit as much as I can in one day. I figure that if I'm there every day, and I'm working hard every day, then when it comes down to the end, hopefully they'll be a little more understanding if I'm lacking in something (requirement-wise).

I'd be lying if I didn't say that Andrew is a HUGE motivation. I'm very fortunate to have someone that's "been there, done that," but he knows just how to encourage me. I'm motivated to work hard at school and at home because I know just how hard he is working at his job every day. He always tells me, "your job is to finish school." I know he's made a lot of changes in his life-plans since he's met me and married me. He never imagined he'd (a) be married right now, (b) still be living in Jackson, and (c) be working at a public health clinic. We both love where we are in our life right now and the changes that brought us both here, and we're excited about our next phase, too, which is why we are working sooo hard right now.

Whenever I feel like I'm not being very productive, I read Proverbs 31. That lady is incredible. She encourages me to be a better student, wife, homemaker, Christian, business woman, crafter, teacher, philanthropist, cook, and so much more. However, it is important to remember that her strength and dignity do not come from her amazing achievements, but as a result of her reverence for God. Obviously I'll never be able to imitate her in every way, but she does inspire me to make the most of every day and to work hard and do my best!

  • A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies.
  • Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value.
  • She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life.
  • She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands.
  • She is like the merchant ships, bringing her food from afar.
  • She gets up while it is still dark; she provides food for her family and portions for her servant girls.
  • She considers a field and buys it; out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.
  • She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks.
  • She sees that her trading is profitable, and her lamp does not go out at night.
  • In her hand she holds the distaff and grasps the spindle with her fingers.
  • She opens her arms to the poor and extends her hands to the needy.
  • When it snows, she has no fear for her household; for all of them are clothed in scarlet.
  • She makes coverings for her bed; she is clothed in fine linen and purple.
  • Her husband is respected at the city gate, where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.
  • She makes linen garments and sells them, and supplies the merchants with sashes.
  • She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come.
  • She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue.
  • She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness.
  • Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her:
  • "Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all."
  • Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.
  • Give her the reward she has earned, and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.
How do you feel about opening a practice with Andrew? Do you plan to work 5 days a week, 3 days, or something else?

I am so excited about this! I feel so lucky to have the opportunity to work with my husband one day. I feel that we have the perfect relationship for this. It is frustrating, though, that many people seem to believe spouses working together is the perfect solution for disaster. I think everyone's relationship is vastly different. I can think of many couples that this arrangement wouldn't work for, but I can think of many others that have proven it can work wonderfully. We've never thought otherwise.

I definitely plan on working full-time, 5 days a week, until we start having children. I don't see myself ever being strictly a stay-at-home mom or a working mom, but really more of a combination of both. I have some ideas on how that might work, but I'm sure it'll take a few different arrangements until I find the perfect one. My ideal day would be to be able to take the kids to school, go in to work, and then leave early enough in the afternoon to be able to pick them up. Maybe an 8:00-2:00 day or something like that. We'll just have to wait and see how that works out. I mean, let's not get ahead of ourselves, that's going to be a while…

Do you think you'll miss Jackson when you move?

Yes and no. I'll miss it in the sense of it's where I grew up, went to elementary school through high school, went to dental school, met my husband, had my first (and only) solo-apartment, and so on. But I have so many fond memories in Oxford, too, and I so look forward to moving there, starting a business, and raising a family. My parents plan on retiring one day in Oxford, and my sister Kelly will likely stay in Memphis for a little while after nursing school, so there's really not much left for us here in Jackson. The only family we have here are 1 set of cousins. I'll miss some of the people in Jackson, but I won't be missing the crime and the pot-holes! Ha!


That's all of the questions that I've received so far, so keep 'em coming...

1 comment:

Lee and Bridget Henson (plus 2!) said...

Those are some good ones! Hm, I've been trying to think of something that hasn't been covered... How about an off-the-wall one. Have you ever had repetitive dreams, and if so what do you think it means?