March 16, 2011

Spring Break

This is my LAST Spring Break ever!!  Hard to believe, but it's exciting, too, because that means I'll be working in the real world before long! 

I seem to be getting worse and worse at this blogging thing.  I feel like every post is about why I haven't blogged lately.  If you've been reading my blog, you know my life's a little a lot chaotic right now.  I can barely manage to respond to an email most days, much less think up a blog post.  I will keep y'all updated on things as they happen, though, no worries!

I've been working with Andrew this week.  I love getting to see the clinic run and getting a good glimpse of the "real" world.  Plus I love getting to see my husband EVERY single day!!  I don't get that very often.

I came home to Jackson yesterday to work on my Grand Rounds presentation.  As part of my graduation requirements, I'll have to give a presentation in front of the WHOLE school, students and faculty members.  My turn is in 2 weeks!  eek!  I've decided to do my presentation on Sickle Cell Disease in Pediatric Patients and about the dental considerations when treating these patients.  I'm sure y'all aren't very interested in my research, haha!, but maybe you are interested in what I've been up to lately - and this is it!

Yesterday, I went to Sickle Cell Clinic day at the Children's Cancer Clinic (part of Blair E. Batson Children's Hospital).  It was so great to get to talk to all of the physicians, nurses, patients, and parents.  I loved every second of it and learned a lot of stuff that I'll be able to use in my presentation. 

Both of my parents get to interact with these sickle cell kids a good bit, so that sparked my interest in this.  My mom works with them from the pharmacy side of things, and my dad works with them by doing ultrasounds of their brains to see if they are at risk for stroke.  Yes, stroke...did you know KIDS can have STROKES?  Sadly, most people aren't aware that children can have strokes and usually they are misdiagnosed as the child just being "late" or slower to develop instead of addressing the stroke as the cause. 

On a happier note, we have been trying to look at some furniture for our new house.  I am really excited but it's hard to make all of these decisions!  I won't buy this kind of stuff for a really long time, if ever again.  I just want to pick the right things.  Also, trying to find time for us BOTH to go look at furniture is difficult.  We are trying to make good use of our time together this week, but most stores close by 6:00 or they are out of town.  Hopefully we'll have some luck soon!

Here's a picture of our new house:


I'm heading back up to Oxford today and hope to get some more moving/unpacking accomplished this week.  The goal is to be staying/sleeping there by the end of the week.  We'll be working again this Saturday, and then get to go to a baby shower for our sweet friends, Michael and Jennifer, and their little baby boy on the way :-)

2 comments:

Lindsey @ Magnolias and Gobbers said...

I hope you are enjoying your break, you sound so busy this week!! The house is beautiful, can't wait to see it when y'all get all settled! You are so brave doing that presentation. I would flip!

glynda said...

So proud of you Alison - love y'alls new home!